Wednesday, August 09, 2006

How long is a minute?

A minute is the time it takes to pass a smile around an entire room...
A minute is how quickly your labor pains disappear once you see your newborn...
A minute is an enternity at a loved ones funeral...
A minute is lost during a busy day...
A minute is all it takes to ruin a relationship with words...
A minute is all you need to mend a ruined relationship with a few more words...
A minute is stopped when you first meet your true love...
A minute is forever when you are lonely...
A minute is heaven when its quiet...
A minute is hell for a first time jogger!!!

A minute. Sixty measly seconds. That's all it is. So, why did I almost die in one minute?!?!

I have started a beginner's training program for a 5K run. I am aiming for the October 7 Race for the Cure in only 9 weeks. This is my first week running. This is my first week dying!!!!!

My program states the first week is a 5 minute brisk walk to warm up followed by alternating repeats of 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking. I did this on Monday and every fiber of my being screamed "What are you doing to me?!?!" That first 60 second jog seemed to last all morning and glancing at my little stop watch didn't help. I could see each tiny moment of time disappear as the ache in my legs gradually crept up my body. I felt my muscles seem to awaken for the first time in years in places I didn't even know had muscles. I lost a drop of sweat for every one of those seconds and I praised the Lord at the moment I stopped. Suddenly, it seemed as though I was in a time warp as that 90 second walk was over in a flash. I started jogging again and the seconds ticked, one by one, until I thought that I would have to stop for sure. Then, the 90 second walk...relief!! This continued for 20 minutes! Time would slow to a crawl and then dart away from me like a rocket!! Finally it was over, at least until I woke up the next morning able to pinpoint every single muscle fiber inside me.

This morning, I returned to the street. I had bought myself some brand new running shoes and a new stop watch (the other one had to be destroyed as it was obviously the key to the time-space continuum). I felt like an Olympian. I started out bravely and proudly for my 5 minute warm-up. Now, the dreaded 60 seconds...and then it was over!! I was walking again and breathing...rhythmically!! Death was nowhere to be found! The 60 seconds returns and I complete it with almost as much ease as the first!! I'M GOING TO LIVE!!! The run/walk repeats were completed and I headed back into my house. Sweaty? Yes. Achy? Yes. Dead? No! I was exhilarated!! I can't wait until Friday!

So, how long is a minute?
A minute is relative...
A minute is necessary to discover something wonderful about yourself...
A minute is an important measure to every moment of our lives...
A minute is all it took for me to share my thoughts with the world...
A minute really is heaven!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are doing fantastic! Great progress! Your body is already adjusting to the jogging and will allow you to do even better as time goes by. You'll see, you'll keep amazing yourself, and in the process will have a ball! Keep taking those minutes to share your progress with ut ok? It is very inspiring. Your friend,
Karine