Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Non-Scale Victory

There I sat, terrified. Through the glass doors I watched the stability ball class actually doing sit ups perched on a large bouncing sphere. "Those things aren't for exercise; those are for teasing really small dogs!!" My eyes grew huge as the members of the class changed positions. Now, their hands rested on the floor as though they would be doing push-ups, but their feet were balanced on top of the ball!! I almost turned and walked out. "What in the hell am I doing here?!? I can't do that!!" I looked down at the schedule in my hands...12:30 Beginner's aerobics. It was now 12:25, surely that wasn't my class?!?! I breathed a sigh of relief as the class stopped, stretched, and put those many devices of torture back on the walls. Everyone filed out as I waited patiently to go in. My worst fears were realized when I noticed that I was the only one waiting to get in. I walked into a room that reminded me of a fun house. Mirrors everywhere (yeah, like an obese woman wants to see a panoramic view of herself!!!) and brightly colored weapons everywhere. Suddenly, I was back in junior high PE; awkward and uncomfortable.

Tentatively I asked, " Is this where the beginner's aerobics class is held?" Her answer of "yep, it's just you and me today" confirmed it. "The other two who are usually here have a meeting today." [keep in mind that the gym I am going to is for my workplace] THANK GOD THE INSTRUCTOR WASN'T A MAN!!!

I tried desperately to escape my fate..."Oh, well, I'm sure that you are tired. I'll just come back next week when they return..."

"No, it's okay, this one's a little easier on me"... She then had me grab a step and place it on the floor while she changed the music. When she turned her back, I almost tried to sneak out the door. "We'll just go over some of the steps we use in the class" Dammit, she's too nice and I can't be rude.

Remarkably, the step aerobics I had done 2 years ago came back to me in a flash. I remembered the basic right, turn, V, and even the return K. She was impressed with me!! "Do you want to go through a quick routine?" Excuses flooded my brain: No, I will just go home and practice until next week. No thanks, it's been 2 years since I've done this; I'll get back into it gradually. No, you go and eat a Big Mac, you skinny little heifer! Any of these would have worked, but what comes out of my mouth..."Sure!"

Thirty minutes later, I left the fun house with a huge childlike smile on my face. I had done it. Granted, I had to stop a couple of times and my coordination is severely lacking, but I had made it through my first actual gym class!! I was sweaty and breathless, but I had basically kept up with her!! I hadn't subjected myself to public exercise like that since those dreadful PE classes and I had hoped to just fade into the back row of the class, but I had her complete attention on me and I didn't falter. I wasn't embarrassed like I thought I would be. I wasn't self conscious and unwilling to try the steps as I had anticipated. I was into it! The music was fun and she was so helpful and attentive. I can't wait for Tuesday!!

Now, I find myself wanting to just hang around the gym and observe the other classes to see which ones I might be interested in. You never know, I might actually enjoy a little stability ball in the future!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe... so funny but yet so true! I felt the same way when I took my first yoga class! I think I was the biggest one in the room and we had to bounce our butts off the ball but guess where my ball ended up -- shot across the room so fast I had no time to react and down I went full force right on my a$$ !! Good thing there was no one behind me or they would have been taken out by my ball! LOL

Anonymous said...

way to go!! NSV's are some of the best rewards there are...it makes you realize the journey isn't just about the weight but about feeling positive about the changes you're making in life. I personally like to stand on top of my stepper and act like an ass whenever I screw up. Doing old 90's dance moves work well! I figure if I can't laugh at myself then life hasn't much point!

Anonymous said...

Yay! You made it to the gym! That is just great. I hope you keep enjoying the classes, as your fitness level improves. I tried the Bosu ball some 2 weeks ago, geez, that was a tough one! But it uses a lot of different muscles, so that's a good thing. I've not tried it since. I am basically just focused on fropping the weight, improving my fitness and health, and then I'll worry about my flexibility, core strength,etc. Karine
By the way, I am the one who commented, 2 posts down, but forgot to sign my name, just in case you wonder, lol.
Karine