Thursday, March 01, 2007

My 2 Cents

Okay, this is just my own personal opinion, but why in the hell is the world so obsessed with Anna Nicole Smith?!? Our society makes the death of any celebrity into a circus, even going as far as to make fun of the deceased at every opportunity. Didn't they rag her enough when she was alive?!? And people just come out of the woodwork with these fantastic stories about their lost "friend". It's really sickening. I was certainly not a fan of hers in any sense, but this is getting truly ridiculous!! Why should we care if she is buried in Texas or the Bahamas when a tornado just flattened a small town in my state?!? Who cares if the father of her child is, as yet, unidentified? Have we suddenly lost the technology of DNA?!? Drop it already!!


I don't think I would be nearly as offended if the deaths of more noteworthy individuals made it into print more. During the same week of her death, we lost a Nobel Prize winner (Alan MacDiermid), the singer/musician who recorded the theme songs for Rawhide and Blazing Saddles (Frankie Laine), several important female leaders (like Harriet Woods & Molly Ivins), and a Motown musician who played back-up in 4/5 of all Motown recordings in the 1960's (Joe Hunter)!!!


Another severe example of this media bias makes me steam even now: Mother Teresa's death received far, far, FAR less press than that of Princess Di during that dreadful week back in 1997!!


Even more infuriating to me is the fact that the next most prominent death during the week of Anna Nicole's was that of a race horse!!!! OMG!! WTH?!?!

As I said, just my two cents worth...

8 comments:

Cory said...

I think that's more like a few dollars, but I certianly agree with you. I was actually talking to some friends about that at lunch!

Fatinah said...

Couldn't agree more!

~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

I totally agree. The Mother Theresa thing always bothered me, too.

Robyn said...

I'm with you girl...the media is a bit out of hand with this kind of stuff.

Michelle @ The 2007 Challenge said...

Ditto!

Sally JPA said...

I didn't even know that Molly Ivins died! So now I've had to go look up that info. . . . How sad.

Jordanna said...

Great and tragic things are happening all over the world and all people seem to care about is Anna Nicole and Britney Spears snatch...WTF...I'm with you on this one...it's sad

Karin said...

I agree. And on the subject of making deaths a circus... I was horrified when channel surfing last night that one of the entertainment "news" programs was covering the death of a morbidly obese woman who had died while undergoing a bariatric surgery. They went into great detail about the size of her coffin, how big a "normal" coffin is and how big hers was, how much the coffin and her weighed, how it had to be supported, the type of vehicle that needed to transport it and then they actually said "this was the scene at the cemetary" as though it were some important breaking news. It was horrifying. I am sure this poor woman was subjected to plenty of gawking and ridicule enough in her life, now we turn her tragic death and burial into a circus.