Thursday, November 30, 2006

Turtles, Turtles, Everywhere!

My obsession with turtles may be obvious visually, but also has a symbolic meaning. I am an animal freak!! I have a zoo membership and have applied to be a volunteer docent in the spring. I am a fanatic over Animal Planet (I actually record Meerkat Manor weekly!!) and love the Discovery channel. I have had pets all my life and have fostered many, many others. I have cared for the typical domestic breeds; right now, we have a dog, a cat, a hamster, and a 75 gallon fish tank full of rather promiscuous guppies. I have also enjoyed my share of exotics; I've lived with African bullfrogs, endangered salamanders, 3-toed box turtles, and even a black widow spider once. So, it's no surprise that I associate a lot with the animal kingdom.

Alot about the complex nature of humans can be easily understood by a comparison with different animal species. A fact that is obvious when you think of all the animal cliches the world over:

Corporate Sharks (those ravenouse members of the business community)
Lounge Lizards (those laid-back, mellow folks you find hanging out)
"breed like rabbits"
"sly as a fox"
"eagle-eyed"
"busy as a bee"
"heart of a lion"

And I am sure that there are thousands more. I even call my daughter Monkey! An animal is just an easy reference tool. It's a way to symbolize yourself that most people will understand even without a degree in Biology.

Now, back to my turtles...
Turtles are typically isolated individuals. They hide themselves well and protect their soft insides with a tough shell. They retreat into this shell when they are scared or stressed. Their movements are slow, but purposeful and constant. (Remember the "Tortoise and the Hare" fable?) Most are unassuming and plainly "attired"; no flashy exterior or bright plumage. And they are quiet. (I've never heard of a turtle call!!!) They don't cry out or draw attention to themselves.

So, I identify with them. I understand all those traits of turtles that make them, well, turtles. I find their characteristics within my own personality right now. Of course, all my "turtle traits" are symbolic, but I am still a turtle.

I am aiming to become a dolphin, but that's a post far ahead in the future!

BTW, Annieann77 - A turtle without it's shell?... Is it naked or homeless?!?! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose that depends on whether you consider the shell to be a safe "place" or a part of yourself? If you have the shell to protect youself from outside elements than I would have to say the shell would be more of a shelter or home but if you keep the shell because you are comfortable in it then maybe if you lost it you would feel naked?

I collect penguins, a flightless bird that has wings but can not use them to fly. I sometimes feel like I can relate to that?

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of hombre who loves to try innovative things. Right now I'm building my personalized solar panels. I'm doing it all alone without the aid of my staff. I am utilizing the internet as the only way to acheive that. I ran across a very amazing site which explains how to contruct solar panels and so on. The internet site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I am not sure bout how correct the information given there is. If some people over here who have experience with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the thread it would be great and I would highly appreciate it, cauze I extremely love solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U people rock.