Thursday, December 14, 2006

I'm in trouble...

Okey, so I should never mix anger and pets again. After writing yesterdays post, I started looking for Jack Russell Terriers. I have wanted one for years and it just never seemed like the right time and we didn't have the cash to get one. I was surfing the website of the local animal shelters. There at the Little Rock Animal Shelter (LRAS) I found a lovely little female who was in urgent need of a home. She had been there for a while and was in danger of being euthanized. My heart melted and I decided to go and check her out.

I took my lunch break to travel a few blocks to the shelter and when I got there, they said that she had been fostered and most likely be housed in British Columbia!!! I turned to leave when I noticed that someone was standing outside with a couple of dogs, one of which looked like a terrier mix. I went out to find that these were the last of about 20 animals that needed to be housed before December ended or their time was up. There were 2 dogs: a little beagle mix who had an injured eye and acollie/pyrenese mix with a lovely coat. I was torn not only between them but also on whether or not to take one home. I tried to call my hubby but his cell phone is on the fritz and I couldn't reach them. Meanwhile, another woman fell for the beagle and I started talking to the handler. The collie mix had been turned over to the shelter by a family who had to move away. He was nuetered and had all his shots when he arrived, they just couldn't take him with them. The LRAS can only foster an animal for 6 months. Then they go to Last Chance Arkansas. Here is where they foster them out to volunteers in the hope that they will get a home. They can only stay in this foster care for 8 weeks. This dog's time was up. He was actually back at the shelter because his time was up on December 15 and he was scheduled to be put to sleep. I just couldn't let that happen!! So......


Meet Derby the newest member of our family. This is his shelter pic and he is so much prettier after his bath and brushing!! Isn't he a dream!?!? Now I ask you, could you have let them put him down?!?! The only problem now is telling my husband. The shelter held him overnight last night so that I could prepare for him, but I have to pick him up this afternoon. I tried to tell him last night, but he was grumpy (the cat was bugging him and he hasn't been sleeping well lately) and he was engrossed in a program on TV. So I just went on to bed. I am planning on relying on the old saying: "It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission."

Pray for me!! I may be either dead or divorced tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

Annieann77 said...

That is the exact reason why I try and stay away from animal shelters! I would walk in there, feel sorry for all of them and walk out with not one but probably 2 animals! I would not be able to walk away knowing that I could have saved their life! I think you did a very nice thing especially at this time of year and the dog you picked looks like it will already know all the house training things that you would normally have to teach a puppy! Now you have a reason to go for walks and when your hubby is being a jerk the dog will always stand by you! You not only saved the dogs life but the dog will help you save yours and reach goal! Good luck on introducing it to the family !

SydneyDawn said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWW! Precious. I love dogs. I want two or three more running around my house. :)

CuteBeachGirl said...

Omg, that is the cutest dog ever and you saved his life? You rock girl!