Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dirty, Stinkin, Rotten, Tricksters....


Be careful that what you think is going to be good for you, actually is!! Read up on all your restaurant choices BEFORE you head out! You can be deceived even if it's unintentional!! Last night, after 3 hours of grocery shopping, my tummy yelled "Feed Me!!". My schedule and the lack of groceries in my home, made my caloric intake quite low yesterday and I hadn't eaten since leaving the house at 6. By 9:15, I was starving so I started to survey my surroundings for a healthy, low cal, low fat item. I decided on frozen yogurt. Blast!! The TCBY was closed and I had already promised my stomach that treat and it was really demanding it now!! I tried to tell it to "shut up" but it just wouldn't listen!! I tried Baskin Robbins, they at least have sherbet... CLOSED. I got home and unloaded the groceries to the rhythm of belly grumbles. I had hoped the monster would forget that promise, but it was definitely holding me to it!! The only thing open was Sonic, but I had heard they had a fat free smoothie. It was true and so I ordered it feeling pretty darn good about myself as my husband gulped down his large chocolate malt. The creature finally satisfied, I slept very well last night.
Now, I have a little notebook I keep with me where I jot down everything that I eat, what I did that day, and how much water I drink. I also have a FitDay program where I enter EVERYTHING and keep count of all my nutritional values and calories in and out, etc. So, I have too look up anything that is not Nutrisystem or prepared by me. I almost fell out of my office chair this morning when I pulled up the Sonic website! That 14 oz. Smoothie cost me 460 calories!!! Holy crap!! I could have probably had a small scoop of real ice cream for that!!! I had been doing so well and had been staying within my max for so long now!! I hesitantly entered my meals from yesterday and watched the totals rise....1,416 total calories!! I actually came in well under my goal!!! Plus, that smoothie was fat free and packed with vitamins and calcium!! WOOOHOOO!!!! I don't have to sue them after all!!!
The moral of this story is:
If you are eating out, choose your restaurant in advance.
Try to find nutritional info online and decide on what you'll have before you leave.
Stick to your choices!!

5 comments:

~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

Good advice about eating out. Hubby and I dine out a lot, but my choices are limited since I'm veg anyway. However, we mostly eat local restaurants which don't have nutritional information online--like our local Chinese restaurant or Italian place. I just make judgments based on my knowledge of food, I ask the server questions about the food prep, and I'm not afraid to ask for special requests (extra veggies, light on the oil, etc.).

Annieann77 said...

Congrats on your weight loss!! Keep it up! :)

Cory said...

That is a good idea. And it is awesome that you still managed to fall in ok. And your weight loss is great!

WeightWatchnWoman said...

I understand looking up what you will be having before heading out to the restaurant. Same thing happened to me...while what I had ordered was good, it was not worth the calories/points. From that point on, I have been looking up healthy choices and their contents before I get to the restaurant.

Thanks for the reminder.
TEE :}

Michelle said...

Whew, I'm glad it all worked out in the end! Just remember, fat free doesn't mean calorie free! Fat free items are usually higher in sugar, weird, eh?