Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wednesday Wisdom



Author unknown: The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.




We all know our weaknesses. We know exactly what calls us to a halt when we are driving along through life. I know mine. I know that I would stand outside the only Krispy Kreme in Arkansas all day everyday waiting on that beautiful red neon sign to light up. I know that it would be so easy to stop by there on my way to (and from) work every morning. But I can't!! I know that I can't!! It can be so frustrating to be so inundated with all the social pressures we have to face every day!!

  • The fashion industry says you have to be skinny to wear beautiful clothes, and we believe it!!
  • Fast food restaurants advertise everywhere and can be found in every single city in America touting their "healthy" menus of salads that are as high in calories as some of the smaller "less healthy" alternatives.
  • Your "no fat" alternatives may be no fat, but they are deceptively high in sugar and, thereby, calories.
  • There are literally 1000s of different weight loss programs and easily 1000s more people promoting each of them. How in the hell are we supposed to know what to do??
  • I don't have any idea just how many diet books are actually on the market!! Amazon.com pulled 96 titles with a search for the word "diet"!! 2552 listings on eBay!!!
  • In smaller cities, it is really hard to get fresh, organic produce! How are we to eat healthy foods that we can't even find!!
  • Exercise programs abound and gyms are prevalent, but it can easily get expensive and a personal trainer is typically out of the question!!

Yeah, I know it sounds like I am giving you all the reasons in the world why we should just say "F it!!", but on the contrary, I just wanted to point out all the "parking places" we have managed to overcome. Some of us may still be struggling with some of these, (I have trouble keeping my car from automatically pulling me into that Krispy Kreme) but we are all making progress in some way. So, here's a quick pat on the back to all you who continue to drive on toward success. I will catch up to you eventually!! ;)

May your stops be few and your speed bumps be small!!!

7 comments:

JOY said...

I love it!

At least we are getting somewhere! You are doing really well.

A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips - this is what I say to myself when I fancy something tasty!

Good for you!

jeannie* said...

That is great! So very true... We tend to beat ourselves up when we make one tiny slip up. But how often do we step back and realize how many good things we've done?!

Thanks for the post :)

Kim L said...

Mmmmmm ... Krispy Kreme ... so hard to pass up! Congrats for driving by and being able to resist!

Anonymous said...

I saw a diet review site recently that gives a rundown on every diet they've ever heard of. You start scrolling down the page and it just goes on...and on...and on. It's amazing how many diets are out there. There's a cookie diet! So many of them are pathetic scams. "Eat a cookie every day and lose weight!"

We're doing awesome. I also read today that a person makes an average of 250 decisions about food in one day, if you count all the opportunities they pass up. It sure feels like it sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Krispy Kreme is one of my big temptations. Thank God the one that was close to my house closed down. If there was one near me, that I had to see all of the time, I think I would loose it! That is one food that I can't eat in moderation. I know they're only 5 points each, but I could eat a half a dozen without breaking a sweat!

Cory said...

That is a wonderful post. And I know exactly what you mean about Krispy Kreme. I personally prefer Shipley's, but I always want to stop at KK when I drive by...And there are so many bad options and so much bad advice out there. It's really hard to figure out exactly what we should be doing. But just think, by the time we manage to say no enough times to be skinny (a healthy skinny) then we should be able to say no to anything we don't need!

Sally JPA said...

Those are very true.

One great resource for finding local, organic produce is the national (US) search engine at localharvest.org