Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Wednesday Wisdom

The sovereign invigorator of the body is exercise, and of all the exercises walking is the best. - Thomas Jefferson
Now who is going to argue with our third president and one of our founding fathers! And he lived to be 83!! Jefferson believed that the object of walking was to relax the mind. He advocated a walking regime that included a brisk morning walk to "shake off sleep" and an afternoon walk of about 30 minutes so as to render it a "habit [that] will soon reconcile it to health". This time was to be used for clearing the head and to divert you attention for a time toward your surroundings. In a time when scholarship was so important, he maintained that "Health must not be sacrificed to learning."
Look out Billy Blanks and Richard Simmons!! Here comes the Thomas Jefferson Presidential Workout. Beware, Michael Jordan! The Founding Father tennis shoe line may be breaking out soon!!
Anyway, I have managed to walked to my goal of 7500 steps the last couple days and I feel great! My daughter has been going for evening walks with me and we even took the dogs with us last night. She's really enjoying the private time together and has really been a great little trainer too. She hugged me this morning and said "Momma, I can put my arms all the way around you!!" I think I am gonna consider this a Non-Scale Victory!! I was about 160 steps short of my daily quota last night after she went to bed and so I just walked circles around my living room while watching "Whose Line is it Anyway" until I had all my steps in! My hubby looked at me like I was crazy, but he didn't say a word!! I am headed to the gym today for my first resistance training session. Then there is the grocery shopping to do this evening. If you ask me, being a mom should burn a whole lot more calories than it actually does!!

13 comments:

WeightWatchnWoman said...

Congrats on achieving your walking goal!!!

I know your daughter gives you loads of support. That made me smile : )

Have a wonderful day!

Michelle @ The 2007 Challenge said...

That's so sweet about your daughter!! I love walking on my lunch hour - my coworkers think I'm crazy, but I do about 3 miles. We work 5 blocks from Lake Michigan, so I do a loop to the lake and back. Even when it's freezing outside, just seeing the lake looking so pretty and blue recharges my soul and re-energizes my body for the rest of the afternoon. Keep up the great work!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Kudo's to getting in your target number of steps yesterday!
An easy way to add some "strength/resistance" training into your day is to do it while grocery shopping...squats to get the items on the lower shelf, calf raises while waiting in line - it all adds up in the grand scheme of exericse!

I laughed at your "top heavy" comment. I am quite endowed and usually wear 2 sport bras to run in.
I went and got measured for a bra at a Lingerie shop in my town and OH MY! I was a whole new letter in the alpahbet - one I never thought bras came in!

Robyn said...

BWA! The Krispy Kreme cartoon...too funny :)

I had to giggle at you walking around your living room - I've done it too!!! The men would probably just shrug of those last 160 steps - but there is something satisfying about reaching your goal isn't there? You gotta show that pedometer who's BOSS!

Great that your daughter is going with you - she sounds like a sweetie. Keep it up girl - you're doing great!

Tigerlilly said...

That is AWSOME!! 7500 steps wow!! and even better... your non scale victory. There is nothing better then someone else noticing how great your looking!! especially coming from you daughter!

Congrats... and thanks for the supportive comment.. I appreciate it!!

Critter said...

You Rock Kellie!!! Your daughter sounds like a great little cheerleader

Fatinah said...

wow - look at you - making up the missing steps! Awesome job! And good on your husband for not commenting - that in itself is a huge support!
I think it is great that your daughter is walking with you, and sees you being healthy. That is so important. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Great job with the steps - don't think I get that many a day :s and what a lovely thing for your daughter to say :) kids say the nicest things

Krista said...

Gotta love getting the exercise in anyway you can! I've done that too. When Biggest Loser was on, I would remain standing and moving through the whole show. It was great, if a little odd.

What a wonderful NSV for you!

Annieann77 said...

Good job on getting your quota! I on the other hand still need to push myself just a tad further but I did take your advice and spread my steps out more through the day! Much easier -thanks!

Your daughter sounds super cute and sweet!

Cory said...

That is some interesting info. Congrats on meeting your goal. And that NSV is WONDERFUL. I love to go walking to. It's a great exercise, and you can see the world around you. We just don't spend enough time enjoying our world anymore.

Anonymous said...

And even as I am reading my beautiful wife's blogthing she is standing over my shoulder and pacing back and forth,,, no Kel KEEP GOING I'M BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY!!......sitting in the chair.... sipping on some sweet tea wit h a fan. Go girl Go!
Your hubby
Phil